Wednesday, September 2

Total Eclipse. Literally.

I find that I'm usually the last person in the world to catch on to the latest cool youtube video. The people dancing down the aisle at their wedding, yeah, I was dead last. 70-year-old grandmas had it in their facebook status before it worked its way to me. Apparently I live on an island or something. Anyway, the following video only has 3.6 million views on youtube, so at least 90% of the country hasn't seen it. (Whether any of that 90% reads my blog is, of course, another question.)

The idea here is that what you are seeing in music videos doesn't always correlate well with the lyrics. So, people have been creating 'literal versions' of music videos, where the lyrics have been adjusted to represent whatever you're watching. There are a whole lot of them on youtube, with a wide range of quality. The vocal talents of the re-recordings are severely lacking on some of the videos, and obviously some videos are better suited to the project to begin with. But here is the best one that I'm aware of out there. The lyrics are on the screen so you can sing along! Well, without futher ado (thanks for laboring through all that ado!) I present the literal version of Total Eclipse of the Heart.

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

I might be even more dead last than you on the most popular youtube videos. This is hilarious though although it starts to get a little too ridiculous near the end there.

Cheryl said...

i'm totally weirded out by this video. now i need to find the real lyrics...

amanda said...

That was just about the funniest thing I've ever seen! I almost never watch videos on blogs, but luckily I tuned in for this one. I don't when I've laughed out loud so hard!