Tuesday, November 3

Change

When I was a kid, every so often (annually, biannually?) my dad would pull out his big piggy bank full of change and set all us kids to work rolling all the coins. He always seemed to have tons of change, and we'd roll up 30 or 40 bucks worth. Similarly, I had my tootsie roll bank and I'd pull the change out of there occasionally to trade in for "real money". A bit later in life, my friend Spencer and I would refer to change as "free money". If we wanted to go ride our bikes somewhere to get a slurpee or something, even if we "didn't have any money" we knew we could go find a little pile of dimes and go get something. The point is, piggy banks always seemed to be full.

That is not the case anymore. Shannon and I have but one change receptacle, which basically just sits there. (Unless she's moving stuff in and out when I'm not home.) In years it's never filled up, and its very rare that we go take anything out of it.

4 comments:

amanda said...

We have a change jar, and it's prety full. But, progress has come to an almost screeching halt with the almost exclusive use of the debit card. I love the card because I can easily track my purchases, but I do get sad sometimes that I don't have anything to add to the jar!

Nathan said...

Reminds me of the days when I collected pennies. I had a job when I was 16 and at the end of my shift I'd sometimes turn in a dollar for a couple rolls of pennies. I'd unroll them, organize them, and roll them back up. It's really amazing how heavy sixty three dollars in pennies is.

amanda said...

Nathan, we still have all those pennies! I have carted them around with us every single time we've moved (4 times now I think)! Maybe it's time to go to the bank.

Em said...

When I was a girl we'd round up spare change to fill the car with gas. Things change.

I read the christmas jar book a couple years ago around christmas, and I thought, if we saved all our changed all year to give to people...we wouldn't be very charitable.