Thursday, April 8

P.S. You really don't need to use P.S. anymore

I tend to write in a very conversational style, which can be difficult and confusing at times. And when I write emails, I commonly put things in after my "signature" as a post script. We're all familiar with "P.S." and it's usage. It really comes from the Latin "post scriptum" meaning "written after" which you probably could have guessed if you didn't already know. But, if you think about it, the internet age has eliminated the need for post scripts.

If you were writing someone a letter a zillion years ago, or even typing someone a letter a few decades ago, you could easily conclude your letter, sign it, and then remember one more tidbit that you wanted to include. The only logical way to do it was with a p.s. at the end. No one wants to re-write a whole page just to insert a small paragraph. But these days, who writes? In the amount of time it takes to type "p.s." you could scroll up into the body of your letter/email and put your additional comments in the body of your text and no one need know that you only added it at the end. And yet, I still use it. Many others undoubtedly use it as well.

But, I suppose it's a good thing, because if we ever quit using it all together, our children or grandchildren would read some old book (Austen's characters always seem to be writing letters to each other) and encounter a mysterious "p.s." at the end of a letter and end up all confused.

2 comments:

Aubrielle said...

Thank you for the thought provoking post. It brightened my day. :) LOL.

amanda said...

I find this post timely as my last blog post includes not only a P.S. but a P.P.S. Although I just got it backwards and wrote P.S.S. instead. Oops!