Saturday, June 2

Getting Old

Evidently, Brett thinks I'm getting old.  That's undeniable, really.  We're all getting old.  But then I realized something that was simply too good to waste in a comment where many people might not see it:

Brett, I'm not getting old as fast as you are.

I live at a lower elevation than Brett, but even more importantly, at a higher latitude.  The latitude is important because the earth bulges at the equator to the tune of 26.54 miles.  So, I'm closer to the center of the earth than Brett.  That leaves Brett at a higher gravitational potential, and per the General Theory of Relativity, time moves faster for him.  It's called gravitational time dilation.  So if you want to stay young longer (compared to others), move toward the poles.  (Or dig a really deep hole.)  And in a few million (billion?) years, Brett will end up older than me*.

* Neglecting of course that Brett spent about 18 years living more polar than I, then we were about the same for the next 6 years, and I've only got about 6 years of living more polar of he does.  Though, the current margin is the largest to date.

No comments: