Sunday, December 16

Room by Room

About a month ago, we moved out of our apartment and into a house.  As both of our blogs went almost completely dark.  (Not that my blog isn't prone to doing that from time to time anyway.)  As virtually all readers of my blog live far away from here, and realistically will never come visit, I figured I'd give a tour of our home, one room at a time.  We gave Shannon's parents a skype-tour by carrying the laptop around the house, but you'll have to ask them if it was useful, or just nauseating.
We start the tour with: the Master Bedroom
We're heading straight to my bedroom, because it's already had a partial unveiling on facebook.  This room is the only one that required work before we could move in.  Yes, a purple paint job (with bronze/copper by the windows!) moved the room into the "requires work" category.  I think a picture is in order so you can appreciate what we had to work with:


Because we've got 4 bedrooms, Shannon and lived in the Green Room (pun intended) until the master could be repainted.  Together, Shannon and I had zero prior painting experience.  But, armed with videos from the internet, advice from Home Depot employees and the firm knowledge that it can't get worse than purple, we painted our room gray ("Manhattan Mist") with white trim, to match the already white baseboards.  Before I allow anyone into my bedroom, I think I'll make them sign a waiver to never closely inspect the paint job.  It's not perfect, but so long as I keep the photos sufficiently small on my blog, it looks pretty good.



The room is 12'x15' or so, with the two window bump-outs.  On one side of the room we have a walk-in closet which is probably about 4'x10'.  It's sufficient for our needs, and thankfully not purple.  On the other side of the room is the master bath.  The shower is a bit on the small side, but everything works, and we've got a total of eight electrical outlets.  Let's see . . . curling iron, straightening iron, blow dryer, electric razor, air freshener, electric toothbrush (x2) and . . . I can't even think of an 8th thing to plug in.  Suggestions?  (Christmas present opportunities?)  Not that we even own half the things I listed, or regularly use those that we do have.  For the record, I'm not sure if all 8 are on one circuit.  They're all next to each other, so I assume they are, in which case you may not be able to run all those things at once anyway.  Two recurring things I'll be highlighting on our tour are dimmer switches and hooks.  We have at least 11 dimmer switches, and close to 40 hooks.  (I'm not sure of the number, but we'll all know by the time we're done.)  Our bedroom and bathroom both have dimmer switches.  I guess it's nice to set the amount of light in my bedroom and bathroom at just the levels I want.  The bathroom has 6 hooks for towels and robes and whatnot, and 4 hooks in the closet.  Flooring in all the bedrooms is laminate (looks like wood).

A final note about this tour: I'm putting in lots of pictures, and they'll show the house as it was when I decided to take the pictures.  I'm not cleaning up for you guys!  A lot of the walls are still bare, and things are dirty, and I don't care!


Favorite thing about the room: That it's no longer purple.  Also, the bathroom is plenty big for storing our stuff in the various drawers and cabinets, with room for collecting dirty clothes, too.
Least favorite thing: The small shower.  This could be partially solved by re-working the shower head so it doesn't stick so far out into the shower space.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I love that you went with gray and I am totally offended you didn't pick up for me.