Thursday, May 30

Death to blogs

Remember when blogs were a thing?  Do you feel old now?

The other day Julia showed me a picture she drew.  In the last year she's gone from scribbling to actually drawing with a purpose and an attempt at conveying an actual scene.  It's been nice to see that she isn't doomed to cubism, and the particular picture I'm thinking of is a nice one of me and I don't remember what else.  Pretty much the only thing I do remember is that my hair and my beard were all grey.  I tried to ask her why she would choose that particular color, but she didn't want to answer.

For the record, there are some pesky grey hairs on my head (which I have been known to yank out if they catch me in a bad mood), but there's no way anyone would notice without seriously invading my personal space.

Anyway, for those who haven't been aware, Google is killing Google Reader in about a month.  I've used Google Reader for years, and it's always worked well enough, though it never really impressed me.  It kills me that Google own blogger/blogspot, and in order to view private blogs, I have to log in with my Google credentials, AND YET, they can't make Google Reader do that seamlessly.  I think they missed the boat there, big time.

Blogs have certainly been in decline for a few years now.  This blog is a nice example.  I suppose we blame facebook, twitter and all those hip new products, as well as our continually shortening attention span.  When Google Reader goes down, will anyone still notice when blogs are updated?  Particularly with many personal blogs being updated much less lately, do people still check them manually?

In our preparation for the Reader-pocolypse, we're trying out Feedly (feedly.com) to keep track of our various blogs.  The transfer of all your favorite blogs from Google to Feedly is extremely quick and easy.  Beyond that, I don't think I have any more comments.  If you have comments, however, you should leave them. (Though probably not on this post, as it's been quite boring.  Pick other posts.  Pick better posts.)  And while you're at it, go and put something on your blog, too.  Maybe I'll comment.  And comments make everyone feel good.

2 comments:

Alex said...

My last blog post was almost a YEAR after the previous one!!! My excuse is that I was busy becoming a nurse, ha! Now that I actually am one I find that I have more time but not much to actually write about, you know with all those privacy laws and all. Darn because I really have some cool stories. Oh well.

I really should start blogging again... maybe post some pictures of my fat dogs? :)

Lauren said...

I still blog. I think the only people that check it now are Sabrina, Shannon, and my in-laws. Sometimes my grandma, too.

I tried switching over to Feedly as I use Google Reader, too. I switched back after about a week. I missed my keyboard shortcuts I was used to and Google Reader Play. Ever use that?