Friday, May 30

Demographics

I have six co-workers that sit near me that are roughly a similar age to me.  (We all happen to be male, so I don't have to worry about any pronoun he/she-shenanigans.)  And at our age and gender is about where the similarities stop.  There are two specific areas where I really stand out.

Other guys:
Years married: 4.5
Children: 1.9 (due in a month)

Me:
Years married: 10
Children: 2

The discrepancy doesn't seem so large unless you remember that those are the totals between the six of them.  Apparently I'm really living up to my Utah stereotype of being married and having lots of kids.  I certainly got married younger than the national average, but having 2 kids by age 32 isn't some sort of crazy Utah-County birth rate.  It's a bit odd though when we all go out to lunch or something and I make a comment and then realize that most of the people I'm with aren't married, and almost none of them have kids.

Don't worry though, if ever I feel to abnormal, I can just go to church where everyone got married at 19 and has 5 kids.

No comments: