Saturday, May 30

Another Book Dump

Last time I did a book dump, Lauren asked why I read so much, particularly given my gender. My response was essentially, "I don't know; I just do." Very satisfying answer, I'm sure.  So let's bring this to a (very slightly) larger audience and generalize a little bit. (So you don't have to submit answers as to why you think I read a lot.)  Why is it that you read whatever amount you do?

From a few minutes of research on the internet, it seems that Lauren is right in her assumption that women read more than men. NPR thinks so. There are lots of studies done on children's reading abilities, and they generally pick right at the fact that girls tend to be better readers than boys. But by adulthood, that gap seems to go away. Women aren't reading more because they are better at it. One theory I saw was that women are more empathetic than men, and therefore enjoy reading (particularly fiction) more, as they enjoy the characters and relationships in novels.

Another idea (which I thought up all by myself) is that in as much as more men work full time jobs than women do, men are likely doing more work time reading that women. If you've spent your day doing the dishes and battling with screaming kids, settling down with a book probably feels like a nice change of pace.  If you've spent all day writing reports, reviewing contracts or looking through technical manuals to try and figure out why that orange light is blinking on your control panel, coming home to a book doesn't sound quite so exciting. Obviously, there are many exceptions to this rule - there are plenty of great women out there reading all day at work, and quite a few stay at home fathers, too - but I suspect that on average it may still play a role. (Though not at Lauren's house, likely.)

Please, share your personal thoughts, as well as any kooky ideas you might have as well.

Now, on to my book dump. For the record, I do this as a public service to all of you. Many of the books that I read are what I see other people reading. I'm well aware that you can get a better review of these books on Amazon or Goodreads, but it's hard to know to look up a book that you've never heard of.

Think Like A Freak by Stephen J. Dubner and Steven D. Levitt
It's those freakonomics guys again. Rather than just telling interesting stories, this book is supposed to help you learn how to think like they do - that is, to examine every day life to see why people make the choices they do. It still feels pretty much like their other books.

The Came to Baghdad by Agatha Christie
A Christie mystery novel from 1951. This book takes place in a location that is much in the news today, but in a time far different. The book revolves around a spy trying to deliver a message before a big meeting in Baghdad between the Russians and Americans, and the people trying to intercept him. The main character is a civilian who of course gets mixed up in things and is trying to survive and figure out who is on which side, who she can trust and who isn't who they say that they are.

As You Wish by Cary Elwes
Maybe some day I'll figure out how to say his name. The making of the movie The Princess Bride as told by Westley himself, with lots of little comments written by the rest of the cast, director and producers. Lots of fun stories about what to do when a 500 pound man passes out drunk in the hotel lobby and why, if you watch closely, Westley goes skipping into the Fire Swamp.

When to Rob a Bank by Stephen J. Dubner and Steven D. Levitt
If you're going to read three of the Freakonomics books, why not just read all four? I guess because it's there? This book is literally just a compilation of their best blog posts over the years. I suppose this means I can feel good about never going and reading their blog, at least. I'm a bit overloaded with freakonomics at this point, but I've read all the books now, so I guess that's ok.

Now that you're caught up on my reading, what have you been reading lately? (I'm going to need more books to add to my reading list.)

No comments: