Saturday, September 10

Marathons are Stupid

No, they're beyond stupid. No one should ever run one. And even more to the point, no one should ever train to run one. It's awful, and no fun, and painful.

So far this year, I have spent 125 hours running 1024 miles. I've run through pouring rain and hot sticky days, through snow and ice. And you know what it's done for me? It's given me legs with weird pains, and shoes with holes in them. It's made me hungry and Shannon has had to put up with all the smelly clothes. And still I've got 2 months to go filled with what should be 300 more miles running.

Sadly, the marathon people have already got my money, so I guess I'll go through with this, but just know everybody needs to know that marathons are stupid. No one should run that far. So, if you're thinking about it - don't. Run a 10k; they're just long enough that you have to pace yourself and there is time to run people down and everything, but short enough that your whole life doesn't need to be consumed by them. Or run a half marathon, it's a nice distance and you can feel cool for having run that far.

Just don't run a marathon, because they're stupid.

No comments: