Sunday, June 28

Basketball

Hooray for basketball! My ward is attempting to set up weekly basketball games. We had 5 at our first attempt, which isn't terrible. And only 3 of them were recruited from outside of our ward. But, here are my observations from the first time I've played in ages.

1: Apparently I'm 100 years old, because things still hurt.

2: I blocked 2 shots in one evening. TWO! That's about 10 times more than I normally do. One was on a pull-up jumper. For the other, I was beat off the dribble and the other guy had a step on me as he headed toward the hoop and I blocked the shot from behind almost. I don't think I've ever blocked a shot that way before. This was probably a statistical anomaly.

3: I made a right-handed hook shot. I've had a left-handed hook that I've used for years. It's very accurate and extremely difficult to block. (Even Brett would agree with that, I think.) But, to increase my repetoir, I've been practicing a right-handed version for years. Years! It's certainly not as good as the lefty (lower accuracy and range) but I can consistantly make it when practicing. Unforutnately, I never trust it enough to use it in a game. Even when the right side is more open, I trust my left-handed shot more than the right-handed. But, without planning, I spontaneously took a right-handed shot the other day. (It went in.) NBA, here I come!

If my blog readership included anyone who liked basketball in the St. George area, you'd be invited.

No comments: