Sunday, September 30

Downside of ESPN

I'm watching BYU play football on ESPN right now, and the game isn't terribly competitive, so lets blog.  Specifically, let's blog about the coverage from ESPN.  BYU is up 47-0 right now, and obviously I'm a little disinterested, but I'm actually (as I blog) paying more attention to the game than the announcers are.  And this, is the first downside of ESPN coverage.

1: BYU football games are targeted to generic college football fans, not BYU fans.  As a kid, BYU games were on KSL and more or less only available in Utah.  If a person was watching, they were watching specifically to see BYU (or their opponent).  Tonight, BYU is the only football game on TV. So, when the game gets a bit slow, the announcers have to try to keep as many viewers as possible entertained, so that means talking about Heisman candidates and Notre Dame.

2: It's 11:24pm, and I'm still watching the game.  Because ESPN gets to dictate start times, BYU plays a lot more late games than they used to, and now that I'm in the eastern time zone, well, that's not ideal.

3: I'm streaming the game on some European website.  ESPN seems to be much better at denying streaming online than the Mtn was.  Took me about 10 minutes to find this one tonight.

Of course there are some advantages to ESPN as well.  BYU doesn't generally get their top announcers, but just about anyone is an improvement over the Mtn.  The picture is much better also.  Plus the university is getting more money, and everyone in the country who is willing to pay for cable can watch their games.  (Sometimes it seems like that includes everyone but me.)  Well, game is over.  BYU kept the shutout which is nice, and rushed for nearly 400 yards.  It was nice to see the defense force a few turnovers, which is the only thing they haven't done really well so far this year.  Zero points and 148 yards is pretty impressive.  Ok, time for bed.  I guess I'd better schedule this to post in a day or two, so I don't spoil the ending for anyone who might not have watched the game yet.  (You're welcome, Brett.)

No comments: