Sunday, April 13

Minimalist running. No, not that kind.

Yesterday's run was 14.34 miles in lovely 50 degree weather, which is pretty ideal.  Running creates enough heat that you don't need a particularly warm day.  The distance is the longest I've done since the marathon in October 2010.  Since Shannon was going to a RS thing for much of the morning at the stake center, I had to be home by 8:30.  So, I was up at about 6, and left by 6:30.  Because runners are not only masochistic, but they are masochistic and sleep deprived.
Anyway, I got home and sat down in front of the computer with a bowl of cereal to check blogs. (When was the last time you updated yours?  Hint: ages ago.)  On one running blog that I stalk, there was a post detailing what the guy had packed for his 20 mile run that day.  A headlamp, 3 GUs, jelly beans, gummy bears, 2 bananas, a pita, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a peanut butter and honey sandwich, 2 bottles of water (0.5 L each), Gatorade fuel (8oz maybe?), and a bottle of Propel (0.5 L).  I compared this to what I took for my 14 mile run: nothing.  I had a little sip of water, and a couple of fig newtons before I left and that was it.  Somehow, I managed to make it without taking an entire shopping cart full of groceries.

Now, it's true that 20 is certainly longer than 14, and it's likely his run took about twice as long as mine, but I still don't understand the fascination everyone has with running stuff.  Running should be one of the simplest, and cheapest of sports/hobbies.  Sure, the shoes might run you $100 per pair.  And you need some clothes to wear that are light weight and made of the right material.  (Cotton is not your friend.)  But this is America; where there is a potential consumer, there is an unnecessary product to fill that void.  So we need 15 dollar running socks, and 40 dollar calf sleeves.  And any time we run, we surely must consume some Gu-like product ($1.00-$1.50 each) every few miles.  We need treadmills and gym memberships, fuel belts and GPS watches.

To be clear, each and every thing I've listed probably has a place and a use.  I'm sure they go on sale periodically, too.  But it seems like there is a runner consumerism where the goal seems to be to collect more stuff (and ever more finisher's medals . . . don't get me started).  I like running because of it's minimalism.  I don't need any other people, any equipment, a specific location, or all that much stuff.  Just about any stretch of road, sidewalk, trail or path will do.  Temperatures need to be somewhere between 0 and 100.  And it needs to be light enough that I can see where my feet are landing.

I'll tell you what I run in.  A pair of shoes.  Shorts from target.  Shirts from target, or the clearance rack at Kohls.  A hat and gloves when it's cold.  None of these items have cost more than $20.  Most were under $15.  A wristwatch.  I usually take my ipod shuffle with me.  And I think for runs longer than 15 miles, I'm going to need water.  Turns out that's generally available for free if you run past a park.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I own some of those $15 socks. I am prone to blisters right on the balls of my feet and they have made an incredible difference. But I think I am also a minimalist. My longest training run was 11 miles and all I had was a few sips water. For my half, all I had were a few sips of gatorade. Not because I was trying to prove anything, but because I didn't think I needed anything. The thing I need most to get through any tough run? A companion for some good conversation.