Thursday, September 4

Meat is Back!

September is here, which means cooler weather, football and a return to meat.

Our month long meatless experiment has ended, and it was pretty uneventful.  I didn't feel healthier, stronger or more energetic.  I also didn't feel sicker, weaker or more lethargic.  I didn't "miss" meat all that much either.  In the end, it all comes down to a great big "meh".  I think I've proven that I can eat meat, or not, and I don't really care.  If I were to give up meat permanently, I think I'd certainly miss it, particularly on holidays where the food is an important part of the tradition.  But on an average day, I'm just as happy with all the other foods.

Labor Day was on the 1st this year, and we celebrated with turkey burgers, which were very tasty.  We spent the long weekend in Michigan, so on the drive back I added a McDonald's cheeseburger to the meat tally for the day - just as tasty as ever.  Shannon is in charge of the cooking, and she plans to implement a somewhat lower meat diet than we have had in the past, but for now we don't have any plans to have any more meat prohibitions.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Ask Shannon if she remembers when Sophie (who was pretty much vegan) went and bought a Wendy's cheeseburger during our freshman year. She devoured that thing and then, I think, she felt a little bit sick.

I could not quit meat.