Monday, May 9

Things I Don't Understand

1. Running. I've been reading more about running lately, and as best as I can tell, I'm doing it all wrong. I run all the wrong speeds - apparently I should be doing some things at 6:xx/mile and other things at 8:xx/mile, but basically nothing in between. But I run nearly everything in between. I also apparently don't run nearly enough to put up the race times that I have. (And remember, even the running I'm doing is apparently wrong.) So, either I'm a super athlete, or all the things about running aren't all that important.

2. How anyone can like Trump.

3. Sleep schedules. I swear I'm not doing anything differently, but for the last 2 weeks, I'm significantly more sleepy. Growth spurt?

4. Hunger levels. Every day this week I've gotten up and run the same 5 miles, had the same cereal for breakfast, sat in the same chair at work for nearly the entire day, and had the same lunch. And today I am starving. I don't get it. Some days I'm fine, others I'm like a bottomless pit. And trust me, my eating habits are remarkably consistent, particularly on breakfast and lunch.

5. Really? Trump?

6. The memes on facebook where people complain about how they wish their public education had taught them how to balance a check book and do their taxes instead of the quadratic formula. I have several issues with this. First, I do algebra all the time, and you should, too. I personally, haven't used trigonometry for like 4 hours. Second, I did learn how to balance a check book - in 6th grade. And can you really not balance a check book? You start with your account balance, and then add and subtract numbers as you as you add and remove money from your account. How long a lesson about this do you need? Also, do you write checks? Third, let's analyze what it takes to do you taxes. When I first started doing my taxes it involved going to the post office or library or somewhere and getting a form and an instruction booklet, wherein there were detailed step by step instructions for what to write in literally every single box on the form, and how to perform simple math. Did your public education not prepare you for mindlessly following instructions and writing numbers in little boxes? As life gets more complicated the forms get a bit more cumbersome, granted, but these days you have nice computer programs that ask you straight forward questions and do it all for you. Basically, if your taxes are really that hard, it's pretty likely you're way too rich for me to feel pity for you.

7. State tax forms, though. Those suck.

No comments: