Sunday, October 21

Back-to-back

So, this story is from months ago, and no one will really care at all, but I want to post it anyway.

A while back, we were over at the Hunt's, and KC pulled out his baseball card collection. He's got thousands and thousands of baseball cards which were mostly collected back in the 90s. They're stored in the standard baseball card books and organized by year and card company. The cards are in plastic pages, and you put the cards in back to back, so the front side of one card is visible on one side of the page, and the front of another card is visible on the other side.

(As a side note, I never organized my cards that way. It was always alphabetical by team and alphabetical by last name within the team. I think it shows a somewhat different focus in the collecting. Anyway . . .)

As I was flipping through some of his older cards, I saw he had a Joe Torre card. (Recently deposed manager of the NY Yankees.) I was interested, so I pulled it out to look at it and check out Joe's stats from when he was a player. As I pulled it out, I found that Torre's card was back to back with Terry Francona! What are the odds! For those of you who's minds aren't reeling, Francona is currently the manager of the Red Sox! KC didn't even know this! Anyway, I found this coincidence fascinating. Undoubtedly, you will all feel differently.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, I remember the hours that you spent organizing those cards. I swear you redid it every time you got a new card! Or maybe just every school break.

Suzanne said...

And you always paid with exact change for your cards, calculated in advance of going to the register. 69 cents.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, another errant apostrophe. "Who's" is a contraction for "who is." The word you wanted is "whose." I wouldn't normally corret anyone, but you are the one who called people stupid for mixing up "then" and "than." If not for that, I would never have said a word. It never pays to call people names.

Suzanne said...

He couldn't possibly call you names, since you won't tell us what your name is.

Maybe you should just keep your "corret" grammar to yourself!

Clark said...

Maybe I'll vow to make one obscure grammatical error per post, and we can really turn this into a heated feud. (Not a family feud, though a Tootsie-Roll Pop would be nice.)

Oh, and some packs of baseball cards were only 63 cents. (59 before tax)

Shanny said...

"If not for that, I would never have said a word." Except that you have said quite a few words over and over and over again. My anonymous friend, the point has been made and now you are the one being rude.