Tuesday, March 11

Everyone thinks I am a nerd. And I'm ok with that. Because I am a nerd. But there is one entity out there that actually over-estimates my nerditude. Amazon.com insists that I am actually the biggest nerd imaginable. Whenever I go there, it has suggestions for what I should buy. I divided the 15 books into 5 basic categories:
  • Quantum Mechanics Textbooks, 2
  • Math Textbooks, 3
  • Thermal Physics/Thermodynamics Textbooks, 4
  • Classical Mechanics Textbooks, 2
  • Other Physics Textbooks, 4
Apparently the only thing I've ever purchased from Amazon is physics textbooks, so it naturally assumes that I must want 15 more. Let this be a reminder to everyone about the false picture of reality that we can develop when we only have 3 or 4 data points.

2 comments:

Ben said...

I'm okay with you being a nerd, just as long as you didn't actually go and buy a book off of amazon to answer my questions.

Adam Lowe said...

Maybe Amazon just assumes that you get your books about fast cars and espionage thrillers somewhere else.