Tuesday, September 23

MWC II

Not that any experience in my life has lead me to expect voter consistency or logic or brain function at all . . . but here is another poll from ESPN today.


To summarize: 59% of the country thinks that the MWC is better than both the ACC and the Big East, but only 38% think that the MWC should get an automatic BCS bid. I suppose this could be consistent if a) the people feel that the at-large bid will be sufficient for the MWC or b) the people feel that this year is a fluke year for these three conferences, and that an auto bid would be a waste for other years.

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

I liked the first poll better. Down with the BCS!

Ben said...

Well, your false dilemma leaves out the answers a few other people might take.

C) No one should get an automatic bid. [Favored by lots of anti-BCS people.]

D) Only the SEC should get an automatic bid. [Favored by the majority of people who live south of the Mason Dixon line and east of the Mississippi River.

Ben said...

I'm going for the "fluke" rational.

Clark said...

I didn't say that the two options I presented to explain the voters rational were the only two options. Amateur mathematician that I am, I would have used "iff" not "if". Which, come to think of it, I should use more often.

I can think of all sorts of further explanations:
e) Voters randomly click on options on ESPN polls
f) Not a single one of the approximately 10,000 people who voted in the first poll voted in the second poll.

Need I go on?

("iff" is shorthand for "if and only if".)