Monday, April 27

More books

I hadn't realized how far behind I'd gotten on my books.

Brisingr:  This book follows Eragon and Eldest, which I read recently.  I read those two (which I had read before) to remember what happened, so I could read the third and final book in the series and be done with it all.  But, as it turns out, this wasn't the final book as I had thought.  It was long and entertaining as the others were, and, I was glad to see that it provided some plot twists that I didn't see coming.  I remain curious to see how it all turns out.  Sometimes it is best to discover series' after they've all been written so you don't have to do the annoying part of waiting for the next book.

Six Easy Pieces by Richard Feynman:  In 35 years at Caltech, Feynmann was listed as teacher of record for 34 courses.  25 were graduate courses.  I guess when you're as big a name as Feynman, you can teach what whatever you want (or not teach, as the case may be).  But for two years, he taught a series of introductory physics courses.  The lectures were recorded and eventually edited and published as Feynman's Lectures on Physics.  The finished work is famous, among physicists at least, and anyone out there is welcome to buy it for me.  (It's 3 volumes, and not cheap.)  Until that day, I have 6 Easy Pieces, which are exerpts from the lectures.  They're interesting and are Feynman's attempts to collapse some big topics, like "Basic Physics" into a single lecture.

5 comments:

Nathan said...

Hey--this is Amanda. I didn't realize you and I read similar books! I love children's fantasy. I actually enjoyed Artemis Fowl (sp.?) until the last book in the series. It gets environmentally preachy. I also enjoyed the Eragon books. Nathan hates them because they are a bit of a copy-cat, but I still enjoyed them very much!

Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clark said...

Ben: huh? That's the same link I provided in my post.

Ben said...

That was so retarded and silly that I deleted it.

Clark said...

But you still left a comment admitting that your first comment was "retarded and silly". :)