Wednesday, May 30

Book Review: Take the Kakuro Challenge

Hey, it's a book, and I finished it, so it gets a review. About 2 years ago, I got into Sudoku, and did lots of them for a while. Well, Kakuro is Sudoku on steroids. It's not necessarily harder, but it is one step more involved. Sudoku isn't really mathematical. It's just arranging 9 different symbols into rows columns and boxes. But in Kakuro you've got rows and columns that all have to add up to given values. No numbers are given to start, just all the values. If you've got three boxes in a row that add to six, they must be 1, 2 and 3. But if they add to 18, they could be almost anything. Of course, I was quickly addicted, and Shannon hated it. I finished last one a few days ago, and now I find myself with little bits of free time where I wish I could work on one of them. The book is arranged excellently, with 10 pages or so at the beginning with explanations and an example puzzle. Then it starts with small simple ones which get bigger as the book goes on.

I recommend against Kakuro on the internet, because particularly early on you'll need to be able to make notes in the margins so you can keep track of what you're doing.

2 comments:

Shanny said...

I think everyone should know that Clark doesn't actually call it Kakuro. He calls it Kakafreako. And yes, I am so glad he is done. Maybe those bits of free time should be spent talking to your wife? Perhaps you've heard of her? :)

Sabrina said...

I have to admit, it sounds about as fun as Sudoku. Hint: I can't get into Sudoku. However, I am glad you have found something to fill up your free time. I would personally recommend Bejeweled or Text Twist for some mindless entertainment. Those are my games of choice.