Sunday, August 29

Carolina Chocolate Drops

I was first introduced to the Carolina Chocolate Drops around 6 months ago, and every now and then they pop back into my brain. I thin what I find most appealing about their music is how simple and genuine it feels. Maybe we forget sometimes that music can be created just about anywhere. Recording studios and mixing boards are not required. No re-mastering, no mixing, no reverb, no laying tracks. Just music, without all that other stuff in the way.

I don't get to play the piano very often these days; someone either needs to be held and played with, or is taking a nap. But when I do have a minute, as often as not I just sit down and start hitting keys and see what comes out. I'm never quite sure what sounds I'll find. I'm not saying it's particularly good, but its a few moments of pure creation, which isn't something that is a regular part of my day. And that's what the Carolina Chocolate Drops feel like to me. A banjo, a violin, a guitar, a kazoo, a jug. Music.

1 comment:

Ben said...

I see where this is going. More hints at wanting an accordion, right?