Saturday, August 7

Stanley

Maybe my sisters can provide some insight here.  My childhood is filled with memories of Stanley Fudge Cookies.  (I have no idea where the Stanley part comes from.)  They are made from sugar, butter, oats, milk, and cocoa.  Maybe there is another minor ingredient in there, but those are the basic ones.  Melt the butter, mix in the sugar and cocoa (and milk?).  Then mix in the oats.  Stick them on some wax paper on cookie sheets and toss them in the refrigerator.  Once they set up a bit, eat!

But the issue is that whole "setting up" part.  My childhood memories are of cookies that come off the wax paper nicely and have some internal cohesion.  You could break them in half.  But these days, we seem to end up with puddles of viscus goo.  They still taste excellent, but they don't seem to solidify.  What is going wrong?  Is this yet another social blight I can blame upon the deterioration of margarine in America?  Do we need to work on our stirring techniques?  Ideas?

6 comments:

Tim Timmons said...

We always made them by bringing the sugar, butter, milk and cocoa to a boil for 1 minute - then they would solidify quite nicely.

Melissa said...

Yeah, I think you've got to get the sugar boiling to really get them to stick together. Last time I made them, they turned out great.

Boil together:
1/2 c butter
1/2 c milk
2 c sugar
4 Tbs cocoa

add 3 c oats. Blob. Fridge.

Also quite good straight out of the pan, warm, with a spoon.

Nathan said...

We call them No Bakes, My recipe is a little different as it has peanut butter (yum!) and chocolate chips as well. Sometimes I do have to add more oats to get it to the right consistency--I've had them not set before, and it seemed to be an oats problem.
~Amanda

Jennie said...

Poo poo cookies! Ha ha! Hey, I just blogged about these on my gluten free blog last week.
www.eatglutenfreelikeme.blogspot.com

Yummy!

Unknown said...

You've got to get the sugar up to a boil. Otherwise you've got a gritty, gloppy cookie. Not that I would notice - I tend to end up eating them with a spoon because I can't wait for them to set up.

You can also buy them at Smith's/Kroger. They're better than the ones at Walmart. Both have peanut butter.

Anonymous said...

[color=#ffffee]Interesting post! thank you for sharing this information. cloark.blogspot.com really got under my
[/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] [color=#ffffee]bookmarked... Keep up the great site...[/color]