Monday, March 2

Chrome

I downloaded Chrome a few weeks ago, and have been using at home.

I like:
1. Shannon can be logged into gmail via Firefox, and I can be logged into gmail via Chrome at the same time.  This isn't specific to Chrome, I think it will work with any two programs, but it doesn't work with 2 windows of the same.
2. Very little of the screen is taken up with junk like toolbars, print buttons, etc.  Of course, when I actually wanted to print something I had figure out how to do it, as it wasn't blindingly obvious.  However, that was the first time in weeks that I had wanted to print something.  It's perfectly ok for a feature to be a bit out of the way if I only want to do it once a month.  And, frankly, pretty much all I do on the internet is look at sites and open new tabs to look at other sites.  New tabs are instantly available, and that's about all I need.
3. I can get to websites I visit often 1 keystroke faster.  In Firefox, to get to espn.com, I have to type 'es' and then hit down to highlight the site from the list firefox has just made.  Chrome just assumes I want espn as soon as I hit 'es'.  Over a lifetime, this could amount to whole minutes of savings!

I don't like:
1. Chrome seems to be a little bit slower than Firefox.  I can't prove it, but that's what it feels like.
2. No spell check.  It claims to have a spell check, but it doesn't seem to work.  And I'm not a great speller.

Summary:
I still prefer Firefox, but Chrome is serviceable for what I do, which isn't much, really.  My expectations are low, so it isn't surprising that Chrome can basically hit them.  It's way better than Internet Explorer from Microsoft, which no one should use.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I hate Explorer. I will not use it if at all possible~

Em said...

Never used Chrome, but I do love that Brian uses it so I can stay logged into firefox.