Friday, March 13

Hold Still

Now, I know the acapella performing segment of my readership is rather limited, but I still feel it is my duty to help inform the world.

I'm a Ben Folds fan, and apparently he's got some sort of contest going for people to sing acapella versions of his songs. There are some of the better ones on his website. (Remember, better and good have two separate and only loosely related meanings.) Watching some of them, I realized that acapella groups are:
1. Usually too big.
2. Incapable of holding still.

And it's rather distracting to watch 12 bodies wiggling, 20 guys trying to look cool, or this bevy of girls who, if you watch with the sound off, all seem to be playing on a Wii.

So please, if you're going to sing, hold still. It's not that hard. This guy does it four times!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just went to a Ben Folds concert in here in The A-T-L. When playing live he sounds very true to his records. An acapella group opened the show, but they sounded awful in what is primarily a small rock venue. And yes they moved around way too much. Ben then invited the group back on stage for part of his set. I love Ben Fold, but…acapella groups typically over compensate in the eccentric department. Not to mention that they are not at all suited for rock venues. Ben, ditch the acapella crap as part of your live shows.