Saturday, August 9

One of THOSE people

We went out to eat at Red Robin yesterday for Shannon's birthday.  Because when it's your birthday, you deserve unlimited steak fries.  "But wait" you say.  "You can't eat meat this month."  Right you are.  But like most places these days, Red Robin has items on their menu for the meat-free.  Items indeed.  I believe we counted 2.  Certainly you could ask for salads without the chicken, or things like that, but we were there for the fries, so we both got the vegetarian burger.  I thought it was pretty darn tasty.  No one would mistake it for beef, but I don't mind.  If I really wanted beef, I'd eat beef, and I'd rather that something taste good (which it did) than try too hard to taste like something that it's not.  So, the meal was a success.  (Ella's behavior on the other hand . . . . let's just not talk about it.)

It was interesting to see some of the challenges that a true vegetarian would have to deal with, particularly when you have to deal with other food restrictions on top of that.  As you recall, I can't eat fish, lentils, kiwi, peas and various types of beans.  And it's the beans that can be tricky, because they can often be used in vegetarian burgers.  So, we had to be the people asking what was in the vegeburger patty.  When we got to that point I was outside the restaurant with Ella (I said I didn't want to talk about it) so Shannon had to do the asking.  The waitress brought out the ingredients list and Shannon declared it to be ok.  (And it was.)

We survived the night out (Ella just barely) and proved that even if you aren't eating meat, it is still totally possible to eat enough stake fries to make yourself feel unwell.

No comments: