Thursday, September 20

Bridge to Terabithia

It's actually too bad this book isn't bad, because I could have made a really good "Bridge to Terriblithia" joke. However, Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson is actually an excellent book. It's a Newbery Medal winner and deservedly so. It's a children's book, it's easy to read and it's only about 125 pages, so it's easy to sit down and plow through in a day or two, and well worth your time if you never have (like me).

I knew that they had made a movie of this recently, but didn't realize that there was also a made for TV version made back in 1985. With both of them, particularly the new movie, I find myself wondering how on earth they could have made the movie, and imagining that the movie wouldn't be nearly as good as the book. The book isn't really about Terabithia, or any imaginary CGI adventures.

Instead, it's just a story about a poor kid on the east coast, and a year of his life. It's not terribly grand, or important in the big scheme of things, but it's still a great story.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I loves this book as a kid and have been meaning to reread it for some time. I've heard the movie is very different. Paterson was one of my favorite authors as a kid.

Sabrina said...

I loved this book as a child too and need to reread it. When I saw the movie trailers I was trying to figure out also what the movie was going to be about because the vague recollections I had of it didn't look anything like what I saw in the trailers. I'll have to pick it up again (with my new found time :) )