Monday, February 4

Difficult Times

During President Hinckley's funeral, Pres. Monson read a letter sent by President Bush and his wife. (What do I call them? Pres. and Mrs. Bush?) The letter was nice, and the Bushes said that they hoped "our faith would sustain us through this difficult time" or something to that effect. I have similarly heard people describe this time as "nervous" or "uncertain". I understand the sentiment, but I don't echo it.

I was in Elders Quorum yesterday (for the first time in months, as the YM president told us that we should go) as the EQP was released, and a new president called. I like the old president, but I'm glad he got released. I haven't been to Elders Quorum in months, so I never get to see him. He will now be the Gospel Doctrine teacher, so I get to hear his lessons regularly now. I like the new president, too. But as I was sitting in the room and the changes were being made, I thought about the similarities to the reorganization of the first presidency of the church. While the EQ in our ward is going through a change, I feel a similar lack of trepidation concerning the change. I don't worry, because I know it will be ok. The church is a marvelous machine. So long as it is guided from above, the rest of us can get shuffled from position to position down here, and I'll feel safe knowing that everything will work out.

2 comments:

Ben said...

I hear ya... BTW I believe that would be The President and the First Lady.

Clark said...

That's it! How convenient of someone to think up a term for exactly what I was trying to express!