Saturday, January 10

Ender in Exile

Orson Scott Card has written yet another book about Ender, "Ender in Exile". This brings the 'Enderverse' up to like 10 books now. Because I enjoyed the original series so much, I keep buying (or getting as presents) all the new books. I wasn't expecting too much, as I worry that he's stretching the story too far to keep making new books, but Exile is still pretty good. The book is a direct sequel to Ender's Game and ties up all the loose ends that result from Shadow of the Giant as well. If you've read all those other Ender books, you'd better read this one too, because it would be a shame to have read all but one. And if you haven't read any of them, you need to read Ender's Game, because it is a really good book, but I wouldn't be offended if you never made it to Ender in Exile.

4 comments:

Ben said...

Is it as predictable as Children of the Mind?

Clark said...

Yes. Because if you've read the other books, you know fairly well how several things must turn out. Again, you'd be reading this book for completeness, not because it's a fantastic book. (But I don't want to give the impression that it is a bad book. It is a well written book with a so-so plot.)

Ben said...

Yeah. I didn't see where he could go after everything else. I've actually only read the "quartet" so far. Do you suggest reading this one before Shadow or the other ones (I probably won't read the War of Gifts for a while because of I smell current events/politics and I'm way burned out on all of that about right now.

Clark said...

The Shadow series should be read before Exile, as Exile ties up one story line that is only introduced in the Shadow books. I haven't read War of Gifts, because that didn't strike me as a real book. I don't know how long it is, but it felt like a (dumb) short little story that he wrote for cheesy Christmas time feel-good-iness.