Monday, February 26

Could it be?

For years, I have been a defender of Utah. I defend Utah culture, "Utah Mormons" (it pains me to even use the term), and other such things. But I must admit that last night I had a "I just need to get out of Utah moment". Shannon and I had a dessert party with 2 other couples in the ward. We sat around talking, and it was great until the second half of the evening when the conversation turned to babies, country music and politics. The first is a bit of a touchy subject with us, the second I know nothing about (and I like it that way). The third topic (politics) isn't usually a good one to discuss with people you don't really know, so I tried to keep my mouth shut. I actually did keep my mouth shut and as a result had to wait until getting home before erupting. I consider myself a republican and a conservative. Yet, for not the first time, I found myself in a setting where I was somehow the most liberal person there. By a mile. I think Shannon(!) was the second most liberal person there. I just wanted to go somewhere where I could feel conservative again.

And what are the "crazy liberal ideas" that I've got floating around in my head? Oh, silly things like:
  • Barack Obama not being the devil. (Actual statement)
  • Gun control not being a bad thing.
  • It is possible to be both LDS and a democrat.
Maybe I just need to hang out with the local democrats more. I wonder if there are any . . .

4 comments:

Shanny said...

I'm sure there are a few local democrats, but I think the people in ward might start to "talk" if they saw you hanging out with them. I mean, come on, "it's not possible to be a Mormon and a democrat; democrats are sneaky liars."

Sabrina said...

I am impressed you kept your mouth shut. I sure wouldn't have and would probably have ticked them all off pretty good. Way to use self control.

alisquire said...

Bean, I wish I could see you tick someone off! It's their problem anyway for making such judgemental remarks.

Adam Lowe said...

Not only is it possible to be both, but the few Democratic Mormons I have had the pleasure to meet are some of the coolest Mormons by far.

By all means you should seek them out. Even if you have to do so on the sly. Besides, in my experience having liberal friends makes you a better conservative, and vice versa.