Wednesday, October 18

Where do they come from?

The last two weeks I've had the immeasurable pleasure of going to the laundromat with Shannon. Now that she's been working, we have to go in the evenings after work. We take books and talk and wait for our clothes to get clean amid the very colorful company. Last week it was the infestation of Hispanic children. This week, it was the "more soap" lady (we'll just call her MSL from here on out).

The laundromat has some really big washers. Some that reportedly hold up to 4 loads of clothes all at once. This must be so you can turn every single white thing you own pink in a single load, rather than having to do it over the course of many weeks and months. Then they're all the same shade of pink, too. Anyway, it is natural to assume that more detergent is required. I'd reason about 4 times as much. Our story starts as MSL is asking MSM (more soap man) how many cups of detergent she should put in.
MSM: 4.
MSL: (laughing) Oh, I've put in 5 already. I'd better do one more.
MSM: You only need four.
MSL: I was my clothes clean. They'd better have lots of suds. If I don't see suds I'm going to dump the whole bottle in. (MSL adds a 6th helping of detergent.)

A few minutes later, with the washer running, MSL is not impressed with her level of soapiness.
MSL: Look at that, there are any *%&@ing bubbles! (She adds more detergent.)

I think MSL was wanting to do her laundry in an episode of "I Love Lucy" where you can add extra detergent and turn the whole world into a fluffy, bubble-bath sort of foamy world.

This whole episode made me realize that there has only been on place in the world that rivals the laundromat for it's colorful and creepy people: the public transportation system. My personal knowledge is limited to the UTA buses and trax, and the Brasilian bus system. But both confirm that creepy people love the bus. I think it's what they do to relax and have fun. So I've thought up the ultimate experience for them: buses with laundry facilities! Think of the fun they'll have, and hopefully the fun I'll have staying far, far away.

No comments: