Tuesday, November 28

Redicularity

Nursery rhymes are pretty silly things. But some go above and beyond. Shannon and I have a running debate on whether or not Patty-Cake involves "throwing up high" or not. It seems to me that any throwing up high of cake batter would get messy in a hurry. Then there is a bizarre one involving riding a "cock horse". I just make up words to that one.

But one of the all time weird things hidden in Nursery rhymes has to go to the Little Piggy/toe rhyme. It seems somewhat plausible at first. One goes to market, and the next stays home. Nursery rhymes are thick with people prancing off to the market through the woods to go fetch something or other. But then, out of the blue, here comes "This little piggy had roast beef". Roast Beef?!?! Of all the possible things in the whole wide world, how did roast beef get chosen? What is a pig doing eating roast beef? I just don't get it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think pat-a-cake ends with throwing in the oven