Thursday, April 5

Gina v. India

Well, now I'm upset that Sanjaya is still around. Hailey, too. Until the last two weeks, we've been keeping these two around at the expense of people that I didn't really care about. But the longer this goes on, the more people like Chris and Gina that we're going to eliminate, and the more terrible performing I get to see from Sanjaya. I think a bed-ridden, 80 year-old Tony Bennett could have out performed Sanjaya last night. I got excited for Gina each week because, more than anyone else, she sang music that I would actually listen to. I could enjoy her performance for both the singing and the music, as opposed to many others where I can only enjoy the singing, and Sanjaya and Hailey, where I can't enjoy either.

So how is Sanjaya still around? Could votefortheworst.com really have that much pull, despite my previous doubts? Could India be spending their mornings making international calls? Is America on drugs? Does the crying girl own 1,000 cell phones? We may never know.

AI is having a song writing contest where the populace gets to vote on what song the winner gets to sing. This is a good thing, because the songs the AI people write for the winner are terrible. Even the morning radio people in St. George (who know nothing about music, as their playlists indicate) know that their songs are terrible.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Howard Stern had the votefortheworst guys on his show right after you blogged about it (coincidence?!) and their site hits tripled as a result. So I think they may be playing a bigger role than you'd think.

Sabrina said...

Brett said he read an article recently that said votefortheworst.com was probably making a statistical impact on the voting. However, how can we complain? There are no rules when it comes to voting for AI besides the time limit. You can vote 200 times and you can vote for someone if they can't sing well. It's been said many times this season, but it's not a singing contest. It's a popularity contest.

I have to agree with you that Gina actually sings songs I like, which I can't say for most of the other contestants.

Anyway, I think AI is starting its way to slow demise.

Nathan said...

Up until the top 12 or so, AI was what it was supposed to be: a singing competition. It has ceased to be so. Sanjaya will not go home anytime soon. He is talked about too much and gets too many front pages. I ask myself why? What caused him to steal the spotlight? I don't know, but the longer this goes on, the less I want to watch.

VFTW is all about what America finds entertaining. If they don't want a quality singer, that's their own problem. By now, those that get kicked off that are still good singers have an excellent chance of scoring records of their own anyway. So, in a way, the next several weeks don't matter.

Take Blake. Say he and Sanjaya are the top 2. Sanjaya ends up winning. Blake still gets a record and can go to whatever studio he wants. Blake ends up winning? Sanjaya gets no record and ends up in the tabloids.