Friday, April 27

Great White Stripped Snake Lion Wedding

Well, with the flood of suggestions for the BTOTY already, I thought I'd keep encouraging your involvement with a chance to spend my money. For my birthday, I got an ITunes gift card (thanks Suz!) (I think it was Suzanne who gave it to me . . ) and I haven't yet spent it. Last night, Shannon and I were discussing music or something, and Shannon mentioned that she didn't know much about "Butt Rock" (as she calls it) and specifically Bon Jovi. So we spent some time on YouTube finding a few Bon Jovi songs from the 80's that she has heard, but didn't know were his, as well as some songs that she claims to have never heard, like "Blaze of Glory". (How can you not know that one!) I then went through other 80's rock/metal songs, as we've done in the past, and found Shannon to be seriously lacking in her education on the subject.

"Don't you know 'Every Rose Has It's Thorn'? . . . by Poison?" I'd ask. "'Once Bitten, Twice Shy'?" "'Welcome to the Jungle'?" Time after time the answer was, "No." (I didn't even bother to ask about 'Unskinny Bop'.) So, I've decided that I need to help Shannon out, and I'm considering even blowing my ITunes money on some good 80's rock music, (Shannon knows plenty of 80's pop stuff) because clearly I can't leave this up to Shannon. So, here's your opportunity to suggest the top 80's rock songs that I should own. I guess you can suggest anything 80's. What music have we forgotten about that I am obviously missing in my life?

If you need help getting started, you can check out http://www.bradboard.com/80s.htm for a great big list of 80s songs.

8 comments:

Suzanne said...

Sweet Child o' Mine, by Guns n Roses. Anything you recognize by Bon Jovi. Hmm . . . Carrie would really be the expert here. Maybe some Skid Row, or some Whitesnake? Van Halen? What are some other hair bands? Def Leppard?

Oh, and you are welcome.

tysqui said...

I do enjoy some good Bon Jovi once in a while. While in Russia I bought an mp3 cd with 12 Bon Jovi, JBJ and Richie Sambora cds on it (It was only $1...). I love Every Rose Has its Thorn and would also recommend Patience by Guns n Roses and Winds of Change by the Scorpions.

Melissa said...

anything by aerosmith is good. Carrie had a big Def Leppard thing going. Remember her magazines and posters on the wall? Any one watch Skid Rows lead singer on Gilmore Girls? Adam calls it "butt rock" too.

Anonymous said...

Pour Some Sugar on Me has become kind of a classic. GNR's Appetite for Destruction album is all good. I'll have to look through my tapes. Yes, I said tapes.

W.L.Platt said...

Sorry, but I have to weigh in with my favorite 80's band - which probably has nothing to do with the genre you are researching. I have several songs by They Might Be Giants on my iPod and they still make me smile. How about Depeche Mode? I don't have their music on the iPod but I remember some of it fondly. The sad thing to me is that Rob puts all this music in the category of "classic rock." Classic rock to me means anything by the Beatles or the Beach Boys.

Shanny said...

Ah, They Might Be Giants, now there is a band I know. I still think it's funny to hear them sing, "It's a brand new record for 1990." It just doesn't seem that long ago that Flood came out.

Adam Lowe said...

Just going from the black T-shirts I can remember seeing in the halls in middle school (these kids were never in my classes, of course): Queensryche, Quiet Riot, Anthrax, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Iron Butterfly, Motley Crue, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Slayer, Scorpions, Whitesnake, Twisted Sister, Ozzy Osbourne, Alice Cooper, Skid Row.

The ones I actually listened to have mostly been mentioned: Aerosmith, Guns N Roses, Def Leppard, Poison, Warrant, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and of course, Spinal Tap.

The seminal Butt Rock Album has to be Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet." It's one of Beethoven's favorites in Bill and Ted's, after all.

Clark said...

Yeah, but I'm looking for specific songs here folks. I mean, if I don't own any of the stuff by now, it's pretty obvious that I'm not a big enough Skid Row fan to buy a whole album. But maybe there's some Skid Row song out there that I've forgotten about that I need.