Thursday, January 17

Basketball

You've probably felt something missing from your life, but couldn't put your finger on what it was. Don't worry, I'll tell you. That hole in your life has been you missing out on my ward basketball team updates!

The season started today, and we played . . . I don't know what ward. But somebody. We had about 12 guys, they had 7. We stayed close early. Then we got annoyed with the refs. (They do their best, I know them, and they're good guys.) The other team started pulling away behind some good free throw shooting. I think it's the first time I've ever seen a church team shoot 85%+ from the line. Anyway, our team, with all our people wasn't quite sure what we were doing on offense as most of us had never played together. Personally, I think I picked up 4 points. 2/2 from the line, and 1/3 from the floor. I got called for a charge, which is the first time that has happened in a long time, but it was definitely the right call.

Anyway, we found ourselves down by 12 in the 4th quarter, and switched to a box and 1, to shut down one guy who had been killing us with penetration. Somehow, I became the defensive stopper shadowing him, and I lasted a surprisingly long time before running out of gas. I'm not sure how, but we managed to crawl back into the game to find ourselves down by 2 with 11 seconds left. We bungled the inbounds play nearly had a back court violation when I ran into my own teammate who had the ball and the ball ended up in our center's hands about 25 feet from the basket, where he drained a 3 pointer with :01 left. It was fabulous. We managed to hold on for the one second and escaped with a victory we likely didn't deserve. But it was fun, I played ok and ran much better than I thought. But if I'm our teams defensive stopper in the front court, we've got some big problems.

No comments: