Tuesday, January 22

Spiderman 3

Shannon and I finally watched Spiderman 3 last night. It was not what I expected, though, in retrospect, it is exactly what I should have expected. We borrowed the movie from friends (to whom I am grateful, and anything I am about to say should not detract from my gratitude) and excitedly popped it into the DVD player for our FHE activity.

The further we got into the movie the more I was thinking things like, "Is there anyone in real life who is even remotely as dumb as Peter Parker?" (Smooching other girls in front of your girl friend [to whom you want to propose].) "Is this the most improbable set of coincidences that could ever be imagined?" (The rival photographer is dating a model who just happens to be falling from the 62nd floor who just happens to be the police chiefs daughter, who just happens to be presenting the key to the city, who just happens to be kissing Spiderman, and she is also in Peter Parker's physics class. Because apparently NYC really is that small of a town. Also, the only 3 other people in NYC that seem to have super powers are Peter's best friend, Peter's photographer rival and the man who shot Peter's uncle!)

Whew! Time for a new paragraph. Next question I was asking myself: "Why is it again that we think that Toby Mcguire is a good actor?" I mean, he's not the worst or anything, but between his mediocre acting and some poor writing, there were some pretty bad parts. I think part of the problem is that I had watched Batman Begins the night before. That movie has actors! Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Christian Bale! They make the cast of Spiderman look a bit . . . anemic.

Well, that probably came out fairly harsh. The movie was fine, so I don't need any comments telling me that I'm going crazy ripping on Spiderman.

5 comments:

Sabrina said...

I frankly don't love the Spiderman movies, especially when you compare them to the new generation of Batman or the Xmen movies, but hey, it's entertainment.

Melissa said...

I love love love "Batman Begins." And that's saying a lot because I don't really go for the super hero movies. I think we have all three Spidermans, but I've only seen the first one.

Who remembers Christian Bale in Newsies?

Clark said...

Cowboy!

Suzanne said...

They should totally see if they can get him for Newsies 2.

Anyway Clark, my friend Ali agrees with your assessment of the movie. He even goes so far as to call it a pile of pants.

Suzanne said...

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071119/LETTERS/71119002/-1/letters