Wednesday, January 30

Scouting

I don't understand scouting.

Let me clarify. I understand going on little camp outs. I understand sitting down and learning about first aid, and encouraging participation in sports, and community, and learning about a variety of things to make young men well rounded. That's the sort of scouting that I did as a kid. Show up, have fun, play some basketball and call it a day.

But there's a whole other world when it comes to scouting. There are scout committees and paperwork and who knows what else. A few months ago, I had to fill out some sort of form to be some sort of scout leader. It was never explained to me what it was, or why exactly I was filling it out. I left half the fields blank, because I had no idea what the form was talking about. Last night, I was told about a scout meeting I am supposed to attend this weekend. It will be Friday from 7-8:30 and Saturday from 8am to noon. (But there will be refreshments on Saturday.) What on earth are the scout people going to do for five and a half hours? I'm supposed to be there in my full scout uniform or Sunday best (I also don't understand how those are in any way equivalent) and listen to what I imagine will be 5 1/2 hours of "the young mens organization and scouting worth together". I'm sure they'll come up with a few powerpoint presentations to liven it up, but that'll be it. Me and scores of people listening to "scouting can have a great impact in the lives of the youth" for a quarter of a day.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Yay for scouting paperwork! Those training sessions are fun! The most exciting part is seeing how many adults show up in the full gear, socks and everything. Poor me, the womens shirts a back ordered so I didn't get to buy one! I was also lucky that my Sat. training was on the day of a 5K that I had already paid for, so I only got to go on Friday night. That was plenty. Oh, and scouts here are not all exactly mormons, though they hold the district meetings at our buildings. Some interesting people I met there.

PrincessKatie said...

LOL I hope you enjoy your weekend! LOL