Thursday, December 7

Continuing Christmas Ranting

The next topic of Christmas tripe is Christmas songs that aren't about Christmas. These fall into two categories:

Wintertime non-Christmas Songs
If you pay close attention, a lot of Christmas songs aren't about Christmas. "Let it Snow" ought to be good anytime it's snowing. The all-time classic "Jingle Bells" is likewise not about Christmas. It's just that Christmas seems to be our all-around wintertime celebration. If you pay close attention, you'll notice that probably 1/3 of "Christmas" songs fit in this category.

Songs that have nothing to do with Christmas or winter
The top winner in this category is easily "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music. Really, why is this in my big book of Christmas songs? Why it is on Shannon's Christmas CD? Who thought this one up? Why "My Favorite Things" and not "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" or "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" if we're just picking random songs to sing for Christmas time. Another one that has confused me for years is "Hymne". It's a fine song, but how exactly can a song with no words be a Christmas song? Does it have a particularly yuletide melody?

1 comment:

Shanny said...

When I was a little girl, I remember when I discovered that Jingle Bells wasn't a "Christmas" song. I heard it (I don't remember if it was on the radio or someone was singing it or what), and commented that it was after Christmas and they shouldn't be singing that song. And my mom mentioned that it is actually all about winter. Light bulb moment, right there.

And I don't care who you are, "My Favorite Things" isn't a Christmas song, it isn't even about winter. A few passing mentions of snowflakes doesn't make a holiday tune. Way to call their bluff, Clark.