Monday, January 22

Charity

This weekend Shannon and I went to redeem some very old gift certificates at Cold Stone. Since ice cream is a wonderful thing, we got a great big bucket (it's cheaper that way) and used up our gift certificates (hint hint). The total comes to something like $10.71 and I hand the employee 2 certificates. She returns and states that our total is down to $0.35. "35 cents?" I ask, to make sure I heard her right. She confirmed and I whipped out my debit card. (That may seem silly, paying off 35 cents with a debit card, but 1: I get 3 cents per use of my card, so that's good, and 2: it is a heck of a lot less silly than pulling out the only other form of payment I had on me: a $100 bill.) Anyway, a person standing behind us quickly thrusts a dollar bill at the employee, saying how it's silly that I put 35 cents on a card. I tried to tell her that it wasn't necessary, but she insisted, and I figured I'd let her have her 35 cent good moment.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

When I was very pregnant with Ben, we took Michael out to Baskin Robbins for one last hurrah as an only child. But we forgot our wallets. The people behind us bought our ice cream, luckily only two cones ($5). Something about ice cream brings out the nice in people. Maybe it should be the official food of the UN?

ps, I used up all of my Cold Stone GC to get a huge ice cream cake for my birthday for a mere $5!