Friday, January 12

The Hurst Curse

I was reminded of a funny story about Shannon's mom and uncle. They can both correct me if I get it wrong. (Shannon and Lucile, that is. Though I guess Evan is free to comment, too.) As I remember the story, Lucile was at a ward or maybe YM/YW camp out some years ago and awoke at something like 5 am. After being unable to get back to sleep, she finally gave up hope and decided to get up and go outside where she was surprised to find that someone else was awake, too. Her brother, Evan. The curse of waking up early is now known as the Hurst Curse. Shannon shares in it too, sometimes. Clark most certainly does not. But after Shannon's aunt Wendy (unrelated to the Hursts) was posting in her blog at 6:30 in the morning, I've been thinking about sleep patterns. More to come.

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

I don't think it's a curse. I would love to be a morning person. If it were up to my body I'd sleep until at least 10 am everyday regardless of when I went to bed. That's so unproductive, yet I seem to sleep best in the mornings. It doesn't work when you have 8 am meetings you are expected to attend and actually be conscious while in attendance.

Nathan said...

My first semester of 8 am classes starts Monday. Someone please curse me!

Unknown said...

People tend to leave out the other half of the so-called Hurst Curse, which is lying awake in bed, unable to sleep, until the wee hours. These two halves alternate at weird intervals, and often coincide. Sometimes we are morning people, sometimes night people, and other times total zombies. The cycle is unpredictable; hence, I have the perfect excuse for some of my weirder behavior (as in "Stupid Hurst Curse!") My father is afflicted with the Hurst Curse, as are many of his more than two-hundred first cousins on the Hurst side. It has been well-documented at family reunion discussions over the years. Unfortunately, there is another Hurst Curse which is much worse, which may be why we joke about this one.