Monday, January 8

Than vs. Then

It is sad that I feel compelled to write this. And I realize that I'm preaching to the wrong people here. But why, oh why, can't people figure out the difference between THEN and THAN. When a sentence starts with IF, it is likely that THEN is the proper word. (All those endless IF/THEN statements in computer programming.) When you are COMPARING two things, by all means use THAN. DON'T MIX THEM UP!

examples:
If you don't use these words correctly, THEN I'll think you're dumb.
Even if they sound the same, mixing the words up makes you dumber THAN a pile of rocks.

I'm sorry to put you all through this, but I just needed to get it out.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

I feel compelled to go back and check all my past comments and emails to you. Then I shall know if I am one of the offending parties. I'd hate to be a bringer-oner of rants. (Have you people noticed how I tend to invent words in my comments lately? Will this inspire a rant?)

Sabrina said...

It's pet peeve of mine too, although I am sure I have haphazardly made the mistake too. I also get really annoyed with those that don't know the difference between their, there and they're. I swear they pounded that into us in elementary school English more than any other topic.

I guess I could go even further with the same problem with its and it's or your and you're or effect and affect. You get the idea.

Alex said...

Oooh, how about your and you're, thats always bugged me.

Shanny said...

Ah, I can't help but think of a Friends episode. . . "Y-O-U apostrophe R-E means 'you are'. . . Y-O-U-R MEANS YOUR!" Clark will get it, at least.

Melissa said...

Good ol' Ross and Rachel.

Ben said...

I always preferred yeah as opposed to ya. Oh wait, because one of them's a word. It's better THAN nothing. If you don't like it, THEN look at my blog.

Shanny said...

I also have to say that when I first glanced at the title of this post, I had so hoped that it would be about our friend Nate, who we sometimes call Than. No such luck.

Suzanne said...

The thing that really bugs me is the extraneous apostrophe. You know, "grape's for .99/lb."

Haaate.

Anonymous said...

I have only read a few of your blogs, but you have a personal problem with its and it's. Please get a grade-school grammar book.