Friday, January 12

The Universe Made Me Do It

I have a theory. It seems to me that there is a certain law of nature that requires that a certain percentage of humanity be sleeping at all time. Certainly the spinning of the earth helps greatly to facilitate this balance. It is dark on half the world at a time, so that gives a sort of basic segregation by itself. But my theory states that the balance is more delicate that just that, and that the effect of groups of people waking or sleeping earlier, later, more or less has an effect on others. Elderly people waking up at 4 am to work on their genealogy is necessarily offset by college students staying up until 4 am playing video games, and then sleeping until noon. My reason for speculating all of this is that surely all those people who get up at 6 am are somehow making it more difficult for me to get up on time. It's actually me fighting the very nature of the universe to pull myself out of bed in the morning. When you think of it that way, getting to work 10 minutes late is actually a pretty impressive feat!

5 comments:

Nathan said...

Go to bed! You're stealing my concious time!

Melissa said...

I just started a job that requires me to be awake and somewhat friendly by 6:45 am. Could someone please start waking up at about 10:30 each night so I can get some rest? I can't seem to fall asleep before midnight!

Adam Lowe said...

It's amazing what your brain can come up with when it doesn't want to get out of bed.

Melissa said...

I meant to say I have to be friendly by 6:15 in the am. SIX FIFTEEN!

Suzanne said...

What on earth requires you to do that? I'm supposed to be at work by 8, but no one expects me to be friendly (or even talk) until at least nine.